Every day 935,000 kids in Texas leave school with nowhere to go. They are unsupervised, unguided, and unsafe. Nearly 1 in 4 teens in Texas fail to graduate from high school on time. The number is even higher for kids from low-income households. 1 in 4 high school students in Dallas were involved in a physical fight in the past year. To make matters worse, 1 in 3 young people ages 10-17 in Texas are overweight or obese, putting them at serious risk of chronic health conditions and low self-esteem.
At Boys & Girls Clubs of Great Dallas, we believe every child deserves a great future. Established in 1965, Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Dallas’ mission is to enable all young people, especially those who need us most, to reach their full potential as productive, caring, responsible citizens.
Our 23 local Clubs serve more than 1,800 kids each day, providing programs based on the intellectual, physical, and social needs of youth. Programs implemented enhance character and self-esteem, are educational and fun, and ultimately contribute to youth realizing their full potential.
A Boys & Girls Club provides:
• A safe place to learn and grow,
• Ongoing relationships with caring, adult professionals,
• Life-enhancing programs and character development experiences, and
• Hope and opportunity.
Our holistic approach, based on measurable outcomes, is delivered through three core programs:
• Academic Success engages members in fun, hands-on activities where they practice reading, writing, speaking, math, and science. Our programs reinforce the skills and knowledge learned at school while remaining focused on the priority outcome for members to graduate from high school ready for the future.
• Healthy Lifestyles equips youth to engage in positive and productive behavior. Participants learn to make responsible choices, set well-defined personal goals, and live healthier lives. Programming includes classes and activities centered on drug prevention and awareness, developing positive eating habits, physical fitness, and building positive self-esteem and image.
• Good Character & Citizenship helps youth develop leadership capabilities, engage in community service activities, and participate in civic leadership.
At Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Dallas, our programs have a proven track-record of success. Some highlights from last year include:
• 71% of Club Members had an A/B average.
• 93% of Club Members were promoted to the next grade.
• 100% of senior Club Members who attended at least twice per week while participating in 80% of Collegiate STEPS sessions graduated and moved on to higher education or the military.
We believe it takes a village to help our community’s young people reach their full potential. That’s why, beyond financial support, we need your talent. Volunteers are needed in a variety of roles from mentoring, tutoring, participating on Advisory Boards at individual clubs, or supporting one of our events—whatever your availability, expertise, or passion we have an impactful role you can step into to change a child’s life.
For more information about our mission, work, and how you can get involved please visit our website www.bgcdallas.org, follow us on Facebook, or reach out to Carolyn Jordan at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you for taking the time to learn more—it is people like you who make our work possible.